On Wed, 08 Sep 1999, Aaron W. wrote:
> I looked on the web site (briefley) and did not see a suggestions link so I
> am posting it here. I think it would set Mandrake apart from Red Hat and
> others even more to have a fully optimized Pentium II distro.  I think that
> having the Pentium version is great but it misses several of the PIIs
> features. I took a look at "Lorax" and all I saw was i386 rpms. This would
> just add to the list as to why Mandrake kicks ass.

But some of use don't have Pentium II's!

The pentium optimization of Mandrake is good, but only because i486's and less
are getting rarer. However, straight Pentiums are still common.

I have a friend that is thinking of using Linux because he is sick to death of
always having to upgrade his machine for EVERY new Windows release. He has
heard stories of people running Linux servers with 16Mb and a i386. He realizes
he will need more than that for a typical desktop/productivity setup, but if he
has to upgrade to a PII, a lot of the Linux advantage just evaporated for him.

A PII distro would work, but only if a i586 and i386 versions were still
available. Mandrake should be more than just a Redhat for Pentium II's.

 --
Arandir...