Donald Tingle wrote:

> Just installed a new M/B w/ AMD 450. Now Linux will not load gives error:
> Also added a SBlaster pci 16
>
> sbin/mgetty: sbin/mgetty cannot execute binary
>
> ID "X" - respawning too fast - disable for 5 minutes

This sounds like a misconfiguration or a typo in your
/etc/inittab file.  Unless you are running something
unusual, like incoming modems on your linux box (I repeat,
incoming modems, not the usual outgoing), then you should
not be spawning mgetty.  The usual console program is
mingetty, not mgetty which is for modems.

Boot from your rescue floppy and take a look at /etc/inittab
and see if you have any mention of mgetty.  Comment it out.

Be aware of editors that like to wrap lines longer than 79
characters.  If a line wraps in /etc/inittab, you are toast.
You will have to fix it up.

Also, lacking a floppy, try to log in in single user mode;
at the LILO prompt enter:

LILO Boot: linux single

this might enable you to get into your box and repair it.

--
Ramon Gandia ================= Sysadmin ================ Nook Net
http://www.nook.net                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]