On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> > > A couple of weeks ago, some had given a possible setup for a winmodem using the
> > > setserial command. I have lost theat message. Can the person who wrote it
> > > please write back to me directly with that message? I am trying to help an
> > > unfortunate friend. Thanking-you in advance,
> > >
> > Winmodems under Linux are paperweights. Period. Don't
> > bother. These are SOFTWARE modems, or modems in name-only.
> > Go get a real modem with HARDWARE UARTs, etc.
> >     John
>
> I understand, and wholeheartedly agree, unfortunately, not everyone can simply
> throw something for no other reason than it not working with all OS's. I had
> often ribbed my friend about that very thing. He always looked sheepish after
> my having done that. What it comes down to, is, he is aware that he should get
> a real modem, but since I had seen a message about two weeks ago, about this
> very subject, including a way out(other than trashing the modem:) ), I felt
> that it was worth a try. And, if you think about it, it "is" worth a try,
> because of all the people who presently have the WinXX/WinModem combination,
> and we are trying to win over to linux. I don't think it is very realistic to
> expect them all to run out and buy a new modem.

Well, I just did a quick browse-through of the mail archive for the
"newbie" group and it appears that there is rumors of SOME
rudimentary support in kernel 2.4 (considering we're on 2.2.x right
now, that's going to be awhile!) Other than that, the only references
I've found state that WinModems are Windows-only, and are therefore
worse than useless under any other O/S.

> As for you and I, and many who are technically
> inclined, and versed in computing, we knew that when we bought our
> computer, it had to work with most, if not all, OS's (and for
> those of you who didn't buy that way, please don't  feel that I am
> insulting you in any way. I realize that everyone is an  individual,
> and I feel that everyone should have their own way of purchasing,
> even if at times it is unthoughtful and wasteful).
> In any case, thanks for the info.

You're welcome. As a bit of history, WinModems are NOT the first
"software" modems to come out. In the late 80's/early 90's there were
an abundance of "SoftModems" which were dos-level software modems,
but they were just as bad pieces of junk as the USR WinModems and HCF
modems are today. :-) I know, I was a BBS Sysop up until about 1997
when I lost my batch files to a hard drive crash and gave up because
I was getting MAYBE one call per day. :-)
        John