It has to do with how many threads the program is able to start. If the
program can work with multiple threads in parallel then it will use both
CPU's. However, that is generally a function of the scheduler in the
kernel to decide where each process (or thread) will run and when. So I
would think that compressing would be hard to parallelize. On the other
hand you can probably compress and write an image to the CDR at the same
time without much problems. Or maybe even runt setiathome and not cause
trouble.