Is it a pci modem or a isa modem. If it is an isa modem use the
jumpers on the modem to set it to com3 and irq 3( you may need
to mess with these settings before you find something that works
on your system) and turn the pnp off. Next I attached a copy of
my rc.serial put it in  /etc/rc.d/  . You need to set the ttys*
and irq * in the rc.serial to match the settings on your modem.
Reboot and it should find your modem automatically.

--
Holiness unto the Lord, He must increase, but I must decrease

rc.serial