I've noticed a few odd things in my logs and in my port usage, and I'm curious
if these are normal and if so, what causes them.  I am using Linux-Mandrake 6.0
(with updates)

1) In /var/log/messages I am getting at seemingly random intervals a message
that says, simply

Sep 26 07:39:03 ad1440 -- MARK --

This is happening on 3 different machines, so I am assuming it is normal.  But I
cannot for the life of me figure out what it's for, why it's being put there, or
what is doing it.

2) I am noticing random ports between 980-989 and 1000-1024 being used as
LISTENer ports.  I cannot find any entries in /etc/services for these ports and
don't know of a way to track down what process ID is using a specific port.
This is also happening on all 3 boxes, so I think it's probably normal.
Nonetheless, I'd like to know what is causing it.

If anyone knows anything about either of these issues, I would really appreciate
some help.  Thanks in advance!