Geoff,

I have this working on serveral mandrake boxes.

You need to edit a few bits and pieces.

Edit inittab and place this line at the bottom.

s0:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x9 /dev/ttyS0

Edit options in ppp (change ips to suit your needs)

203.111.34.35:203.111.34.16
proxyarp
netmask 255.255.255.192

Uncomment the AutoPPP line in mgetty login script

and use linuxconf to add special user accounts for dialin.

Let me know how you go. Email or call me if you need any help.

Dunc

Geoff Croxson wrote:

Dear all,

just wondering if anyone has setup a modem on their linux box @ work say to
dial into to admin the machine/network. Did you use any specific app to do
this, or just use mgetty + autopppd.

Any information on doing this would be helpful. I was told just to use NT +
RAS, but the machine only has 800MB HDD space and 32MB RAM and is a P133,
NT would find this hard to handle and Linux loves it soo much.

TIA

Regards

Geoff Croxson
Page me http://wwp.mirabilis.com/1120068
Senior Micro-Computing Support Officer     Ph: 9514 1218
Humanities and Social Sciences             Fax:9514 1041
University of Technology, Sydney           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- \\-- Duncan Hall - SysAdmin Viator Systems - Sydney Australia +61 2 93616137 --\\ --