[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Dear Mandrake tech support,
>
> I've encountered a very strange problem with my Mandrake system -- I'm
> using a 3com 3c595 ethernet card that worked fine under NT, and as long
> as I keep mandrake under DHCP it handles all port 80 functions fine, but
> as soon as I assign a static IP it can't even ping another system on the
> same subnet. (It does get a 127.0.0.1 ping though) I didn't change any
> of the routing or DNS specifications, or any of the subnet masks or
> anything -- the instant I set it back to DHCP it works, and when I go
> back to static it doesn't. I'm sure that it's not a bad IP address.
>
> Any suggestions?

1.  Check that your netmask is correct.  Linuxconf has a habit of
assigning a netmask based on the class of the address.  If you are
subnetting a class B address, this netmask will be wrong.

2.  Check and make certain the address is not duplicated anywhere on
the subnet.

--
Stephen Carville
[EMAIL PROTECTED]