I hate to keep pestering you all with these problem but my Mandrake
installation has developed a new quirk I cannot solve

I normally boot into runlevel 5 and log in as a normal user.  Up until
recently, this worked fine but now the first time anyone besides root
tries to login with kdm, the X-Server quits, leaving behind the
following message the log file:

kdm[811]: Cannot open server authorization file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authdir/A:0-swTFiV

Which makes sense because the file does not exist!  The missing file
name is different every time so it looks like a temporary file but
where is it supposed to be created?  What did I break to cause this?
If I drop to a TTY screen, log in as root, telinit 3, wait a few
seconds, and telinit 5, the X-server comes back and every thing works
normally  This looks like a permission problem but permission to what
from what?

Even when I created an authdir in usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/ (which is a
symlink to /etc/X11/xdm) a normal user cannot login until after the
telinit 3 -- telinit 5 procedure described above.

--
Stephen Carville
[EMAIL PROTECTED]