> Mark Holloway wrote:
>
> I'm studying for my Cisco CCIE certification.  As a network
> administrator I haven't stayed up with the progress of Linux in the
> Internet world, but 80% of the routing/switching market for the
> Internet is Cisco.  Up until the last year or so, Solaris was also
> considered to have about 70-80% of the Server market share as well.
> I really want to strategically place myself in the Internet
> community.  I know NT very well and have some hands on with Digital
> Unix and Solaris.  However, it's much easier to take two of my x86
> boxes and my two Alphas and build a Linux farm, thus pushing Linux
> to the max by getting hands on experience.  My only concern is the
> seriousness of Linux in the Commerce/Business world of the
> Internet.  Are companies like Broadcast.com, CDNow, iD, etc. going
> to seriously consider Linux as an option?  Or is it the poor mans
> server OS?

Good luck.  I 'm not up to CCIE (yet :-) but I her that exam is a real
bitch...

If you are working in networks, you definitely want to learn Linux.
If nothing else, Linux will enable you to provide services like DHCP,
DNS, etc for a fraction of the cost of UNIX or NT with no sacrifice in
reliability.  Also, some of the new contenders in the router market
are using Linux as the base for their routers.

BTW, lose the HTML..

--
Stephen Carville
[EMAIL PROTECTED]