Dear friends:

Sorry I had to bother you all with my plea for help. I simply didn't
know what to do.

Credit goes to Jose Sanchez for diagnosing the problem correctly.
The problem was that I had installed Windows 3.1 ttf fonts
with w and X permissions (when all of the other Mandrake files had only
read permissions). Jose suggested commenting out, for the time being,
the unix/-1 line in /etc/X11/XF86Config. It did the trick and now I am
back in KDE with all that eye candy. My first priority tomorrow is to
figure out why pine can send out but not receive mail. Next time I am
stuck in the console I want to be able to communicate with the list by
way of pine and troubleshoot the problems on my own computer directly
and report to the list. Really like pine, by the way and lynx. It seems
to me as a non-techie that they have evolved remarkably as far as their
functionality is concerned, compared to what they could do five years
ago (when I first started on the Net with our Free GNOFN Net with Lynx
and Pine here in New Orleans.

My thanks to everybody for listening and trying to help.

Benjamin

--
Benjamin and Anna Sher
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]