Dear friends:

Thanks to my good friend Ramon Gandia, here is a very simple way to
configure Pine to work with your ISP's Pop3 or Pop2 or Imap mail
protocol.

I have done it and Pine receives and sends mail beautifully. I received
dozens of letters from the list. And Pine is only active when it is on.
When you quit, it remains inactive till you next visit. If you delete
your messages in Pine, they will not reappear in Netscape. But if you
reply to a letter, that message may end up in your Netscape or other
mail system. Don't know why.

ONLY PROBLEM: I can't figure out how to configure the printer, which
must be done within PINE. There are three options. I tried the first
default ansi option. Didn't work. Anybody has any suggestions how to
solve this last little problem.

>From Ramon:

The method involves configuring the .pinerc file in your home directory.
It should be created the first time you open Pine.

Here is a section of my .pinerc file.

username:sher07
incoming mail, POP3:  mail.msy.bellsouth.net
outgoing mail, SMTP:  mail.msy.bellsouth.net
NNTP news server:     news.msy.bellsouth.net (you can leave this blank,
it
does not affect your mail at all.

Here it is :

###################### Essential Parameters ######################

# Over-rides your full name from Unix password file.
# Required for PC-Pine.
personal-name=Benjamin Sher

# Sets domain part of From: and local addresses in outgoing mail.
user-domain=bellsouth.net

# List of SMTP servers for sending mail. If blank: Unix Pine
# uses sendmail.
smtp-server=mail.msy.bellsouth.net

# NNTP server for posting news. Also sets news-collections
# for news reading.
nntp-server=news.msy.bellsouth.net

# Path of (local or remote) INBOX, e.g. ={mail.somewhere.edu}inbox
# Normal Unix default is the local
# INBOX (usually /usr/spool/mail/$USER).
inbox-path={msy.bellsouth.net/pop3}INBOX

    Step 1.  Set up PINE so it works with your POP3
server from your ISP.  I already sent you a snippet of my
.pinerc file.  I do not have it here in front of me as I
am at the downtown office.  But its something like this:

mail_server=mail.msy.bellsouth.net/pop3{INBOX}

Step 2. Once you can send and receive mail thru
PINE, then go into your /etc/inetd.conf

Look for, and comment out the lines that have reference
to POP2, POP3 and IMAP.

#   pop3  stream  tcp   nowait   root  /usr/sbin/tcpd  ipop3d
^^^
add this comment sign.

If you use PICO for the editor, make sure no lines wrap;
invoke the editor with the -w option :

pico -w  /etc/inetd.conf

Step 3.  OK, we need to have the system now read the
inetd.conf file.  So we need to restart inetd.  Two ways.  I
prefer the second way, but both work.

prompt # /etc/rc.d/init.d/inetd  restart
prompt # killall -HUP inetd

either one will do.

      All that the above does is means that tcpd, the
tcpwrapper program will not allow an outside connection (hacker)
to gain access to the pop2, pop3 and imap ports.  The programs
are there but they are deaf.

Yours,

Benjamin

Benjamin and Anna Sher