Dear friends:

The credit for this solution belongs to Andrew, a member of our list. I
apologize for not remembering his surname. I hope he comes through to
confirm this.

OK, the solution is a piece of cake (again, please take a bow, Andrew):

On your Mandrake 6.1 desktop, right-click on the Update icon: actually
not on the icon itself but on the caption "update" beneath. This will
bring up a short menu with Properties as the last item on the menu. Open
that and go into Execute, delete what's there and type:

kdesu -c MandrakeUpdate

Just like that. No quotes.

Click OK.

If necessary, log out of KDE and log back in (as user). You probably
won't have to log out at all. The change should take effect immediately
(unlike in Windows, where the slightest configuration chagne requires a
reboot).

Now just click on the Update icon (yellow star) on the Desktop. It will
ask you for your root password right off. Remember to check the
"remember password" part at left bottom of the dialogue box. And the
rest is history.

I had entered the command a few days ago, but tonight was my first
chance to test it. There were two update rpms waiting for me. It worked
flawlessly, fetching and installing the rpms AS USER (that is, as user
who has automatically su - to root while still logged in as user in KDE.

You can also open xterm and su - to root and type the same command.
Should work just as well.

Once Update remembers your password, it's all automatic and just plain
fun to watch it to its updating for direct from the Internet's
neverneverland. And you never have to leave KDE as user.

It works, folks, and flawlessly.

Yours,

Benjamin
--