I just received a new machine and installed Mandrake ver 6.0 -- I
believe it will cure the problem I am having.  When I boot I have to add
this parameter: "ide2=0x10c0,0x1016".  This allows linux to see my hard
drive which is on a dma66 bus*.  The problem occurs during boot when I
receive this message:

Nov  1 17:05:40 xxx kernel: hdd: P, ATAPI UNKNOWN (type 16) drive

That be my LS-120 drive.  I have another machine with a LS-120 running
Mandrake 6.0 and it sees my LS-120 no problem.  The big difference
between the machines is the processor speed -- not an issue -- and the
dma66 bus.  Since I had to add the parameter to the boot command I am
guessing that it is part if not the root of the cause.   I cannot figure
it out though.

One  of the wierd symptoms about all this is that the drive does not
"receive power" when I boot with linux.  If I boot into windoze the
dirve works perfect.  Under linux, however, if I put a disk in it is
stuck in the drive until I reboot into windoze.  I would think the eject
button would work independent of the OS, but it does not.  To me, that
is really strange because the eject button is not software controlled.
In fact, I do not hear the drive "pull" the disk into position either.
That is why I say it is like the drive is not receiving power at all.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Al Niessner

*When I tried to upgrade to 6.1, it had the same problem, and I did not
feel like upgrading without fixing this problem too.