Tapes are good if you know what they are doing. Must keep the heads
clean. Cannot expect to take a tape made in one and read it in another
(most of the time works but sometimes it doesnt). You have to have a
schedule of testing the tapes. Something like once a week restore a
random file and once a month restore a whole partition (if you have the
space). At least this way the surprises are minimized.