John Aldrich writes:
 > On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, you wrote:
 > > What is the exact line to add to lilo to get a cdr to work and is there any
 > > thing else I need to do to actualy burn cd with it?  Also I've only got this
 > > one cdrom in my system so how do i use it as a burner and regular cdrom at the
 > > same time.
 > >
 > > an example of lilo.conf would also be apriciated. TIA
 > >
 > Check the archives, but I *think* the command is as follows:
 >
 > append='ide=scsi'
This is not correct.  It depends on whether your cdrw is scsi or
ide. If it is scsi, nothing special needs to be done.  If it is ide,
you need to emulate a  scsi drive.

If your ide cdrw is at /dev/hdc,
 then put the line

 append="hdc=ide-scsi"

in your /etc/lilo.conf file after the 'root= . . ' line.

If your ide cdrw is at /dev/hdd,

 then put the line
 append="hdd=ide-scsi"

Then, type
 /sbin/lilo

Also, in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, add the line

   modprobe ide-scsi

Once this is done, type

 lsmod

You should see something like

ide-scsi                7520   0

in the output.

Then, type
 cdrecord -scanbus

You should see output like:

root@chaos sen]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord release 1.8a27 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jorg Schilling

scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'IDE-CD  ' 'R/RW 4x4x24     ' 'Z023' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

This means that your system finds the CDRW at scsi address 0,0,0

On my system, cdrecord then worked fine.  I don't remember if xcdroast
also worked.

Also, this is on a stock Mandrake-6.1 system with kernel-2.2.13-7mdk

-Cheers,
 -sen