Bartłomiej Muryn wrote:
> the problem for me is that I have Abit BE6 (or something like that)
> motherboard which is equiped with _4_ (NOT 2) IDE slots. that mean I have 2
> slotsnormal IDE and two next connected to ULTRA ATA 66 controler which
> support of course other disks and CDROM`s but linux do not recognise it.
> so, when I try to install on disk connected on this IDE (ide2 or ide3)
> installer on linux do not recognize any hdd.
> Then I must to reconnect it on standard IDE.
> Question is:
> is it possible in minimum to boot the ready instalation from this ATA/66
> controller?

Probably not directly with the installation kernel. However, after
install,
or if you can use another machine which is already installed, there are
patches (for 2.2.x) or support (for 2.3.x) for your ata-66 controller
(I believe HPT366 or something like that) so you can build a kernel
supporting your chipset.

Why not proceed as follows:
   1. plug your ATA-66 drive onto the standard IDE controller for
        installation. It will only work in udma-33, so what ???
   2. install linux
   3. get a recent 2.3.x kernel source
       or alternatively, get the 2.2.13 patch at URL:
        http://www.gz.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/
   4. compile a kernel with the right options to support your chipset
   5. plug your ATA-66 drive again on the udma-66 controller
   6. boot with your new kernel ... That's all, folks ...

--
Jean-Louis Debert        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
74 Annemasse  France