"Carsten M. Larsen" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I posted this on "newbie" a couple of weeks ago, noboby seemed to have any
>suggestions...so let's try the experts :o)
>
> When I try to run linuxconf (or userconf for that matter) from /bin on the server
>via telnet I get the message "segmentation fault" . Hmmm. If I log in as root
>directly on the servermachine and try to run linuxconf the system "just" hangs and I
>have to drop to another shell for shutdown/reboot (killing the process is useless....)
> If the linuxconf is somehow corrupted--- is it possble to reinstall it somehow??
>
> Anyone got any ideas /seen it/done it/been there??
>
> --
> Carsten

I think in this case you are stretching he program beyond its intended limits.  Not
everything can run over telnet.

The only other item I can think of is that telnetting in as root is by default
prohibited.  You would need to change the permissions if you have not already done so.
 I AM able to reproduce your error.

For the same effect, from the GUI world, try this

http://www.webmin.com/webmin/

It's pretty neat, and will run from Netscape (and from Konqueror if you set up the URL
properly)

Civileme