Hi:

I have upgraded to Mandrake 6.1 from 6.0 (in fact I installed from
scratch after having made a copy of all my configuration files) skipping
the part on X configuration.  I copied my older XF86Config file to
/etc/X11 and checked that the links to the X server pointed to XF86_SVGA
as before (via Xwrapper).

When typing startx as I was doing before on 6.0, the server would not
start properly.  Yet, minutes before on 6.0, X was running smoothly with the
very same XF86Config file and server type (SVGA).

I tried XF86Setup, but this hanged my machine.  I also tried Xconfigurator,
with a number of different "reasonable" parameters, without success.
I also tried xf86config.
Out of curiosity, I then deleted the XF86Config file Xconfigurator had just
produced, copied back my older XF86Config file, typed startx and the
thing got going!!!  This was a short victory since, when I logged off
and restarted the machine, X refused again to start.
The other few times I managed to get X going again, it was
always doing the above trick Xconfigurator-delete-copy-startx scenario.

Is the problem with the XF86Config file (it was OK on 6.0), the new version
of the XF86_SVGA server?
Anybody experienced a similar problem and found the cure???

Thanks for any help,

Serge Pineault

P.S. I have a Diamond SpeedStar A50 card (SiS 6326 chipset) and
a Samsung Samtron 55E monitor, and use KDE.

P.P.S. The various non-working states the system gets after typing
startx are either a black screen or a sort-of desktop but totally
unreadable (although one sometimes can guess an opened xterm here,
some sort of icon there, etc...).