Do this,
File->New->Text document

type blah

Dear Axalon:

You did it!

In StarOffice, as you suggested, I did the following:

File->close
yes to save, file name is blah, Ok

Now,
File-># (it's 1 if you've fresh install)
type "blah blah", so now you have three blahs

File->Close
yes to save

Now look in backup/

And blah.bak is there!!!

Question: Do I then first have to save the file, then reopen it and save
it again? Is that the standard way of creating a backup?

Anyway, that's the way it seems to work. I just changed the paths from
the default to /home/sher/docs for both save and backup. Works
perfectly. Saved a few lines under a name. Reopened added a few words.
Saved again. Bingo: the file and .bak appear next to each other. Here is
the data. Look for yoke.sdw and yoke.bak below:

[sher@adsl-77-232-87 sher]$ cd docs
[sher@adsl-77-232-87 docs]$ ls
anna      extra     inferno      linux    plays     shklov~1  wentzell
ascii     faina     inferno.bak  marshak  poetry    svezho    wizard
benjamin  fiction   inv          natasha  reviews   tech
yahoo-edu.doc commerce  freeware  ladycat     old      rus
temp      yale data      friends   let-in       others   russmark
vaginov   yoke.bak dostov    general   let-out      pdf      scholar
websher   yoke.sdw [sher@adsl-77-232-87 docs]$

I guess this does make sense, after all. StarOffice cannot create an
automatic backup until the file has already been given a name. In WP8,
though, you can create a BK! file the first time you save a file.

Just curious if this is the way StarOffice creates a backup for others.
Let me know, please.

My thanks to Axalon and everyone else for helping me solve this
mysterious problem so I can finally get back to work and enjoy using
StarOffice.

Benjamin

Benjamin and Anna Sher
[EMAIL PROTECTED]