I suppose most of the people on "experts" list already know this, but it
is a rather nice summary so I thought I might forward it to You.

cu
        Denis

About Autostart and Templates dirs.

Autostart

You can put any kdelnk or executable in Autostart Directory; this program will
then be executed whenever you start KDE. Sadly there is no Autostop Dir.
Default position for Autostart dir is $HOME/Desktop/Autostart. If you delete
this dir it will be recreated by kfm on next start.

Template

If you take a look into Template directory you will see templates for kdelnks
which you can create with RightMouseButton->New on desktop or directory shown
in KFM window.
The idea behind it was to create Templates not only for .kdelnks but also for
Documents, or even whole directory structures; Unfortunately this doesn´t work
quite well: you can put some template for text document "New.txt", and after
new start of KDE you will have an entry for it under RMB->New submenu; if you
click on it you will be asked for file name and properties.

Default position for Templates dir is $HOME/Desktop/Templates. If you delete
this dir it will be recreated by kfm on next start.

How can I remove these from my Desktop?

1.) Edit $HOME/.kde/share/config/kfmrc and add these lines:
---start lines to add---
[Paths]
Templates=<full path to your desired templates dir>
Autostart=<full path to your desired autostart dir>
---end lines to add---

2.) Then create those directories (for example, I do it under
"/home/sven/.kde/share/apps/kfm/";  note that you can´t use "~" or "$HOME"; full
path is required.

<COMMENT>
THIS IS A BUG IF I EVER SAW ONE. THE SAME SHIT AS IN NETSCAPE.
YET ANOTHER STUPID THINK TO WORRY ABOUT WHEN MOVING USERS TO A NEW
HOME-DIR. WILL THIS BE FIXED?
</COMMENT>

3.) Copy your existing Autostart and Templates contents to new dirs.

4.) Restart KDE (or just kfm: "killall kfm; kfm")

For creating new users:

a) Make some script which adds those changes to kfmrc (remember not to use
   "$HOME" or "~")
b) Edit $KDEDIR/share/config/desktop and remove lines containing Templates and
    Autostart

When new user logs in Templates will be filled from
/$KDEDIR/share/apps/kfm/Templates

KDE 2 will bring better Template handling (Like when you click "New KWord
document" It will ask you for name and open it in KWord), and selectable places
for Autostart (and maybe Autostop) dirs.