The relevant portions of my conf.modules looks like:

alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

and that works correctly, so I don't think that's your problem.

If you are trying to boot to the SCSI HA, you need to recompile. The
driver may remain a module, but if you leave it as a module, be sure the
recompilation process has produced new initrd and module-info files in
/boot. If you use loadlin, be sure to copy those to your loadlin
partition. For LILO, re-run lilo to get the new kernel built in to the
loader.

I'd build the driver into the kernel; it's easier.