I tried and it almost worked!  I got as far as configuring the
mouse, then the system hung and I had to reset.   Now of course I
cannot boot at all because lilo cannot find the boot device it is
expecting.  Oh well, thanks to all for the help.  Unless I can find a
replacement for the little Panasonic drive, it looks like the old
Omnibook just became a paper weight.