First, upgrade (flash) the BIOS of your motherboard to the latest release.

I had an ASUS motherboard, then I bought a U2W, but I was encountering
problems with some SCSI devices under Linux, and not under Windows...
After the BIOS upgrade, it was OK on both OS!

During the Linux boot, you see the messages and know if your card is used??
(at least recognized) at max capacities.
For instance, with the wrong cable used for a LVD HD, Linux didn't told me
it was working at 80MBps, but maybe 40 or 20, and the other peripherals were
not working at the best speed too. After having bought the right U2W LVD
cable, all the speeds were OK...

Hope this helps.

Mathieu