trujo wrote:

> Subject: I cant print with samba
> Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:29:13 +0100
> From: trujo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I have problem with print usind samba
>
> I can look that theare no acct file in spool directori,
>
> my printcap is
>
> #
> # Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
> # Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict format!
> # Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
> #
> # This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## SMB ljet4 600x600 a4 {} LaserJet4 Default {}
> lp:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:\
>         :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
>         :lp=/dev/null:
>
> my directory structure is
>
> /var/spool/lpd/lp
> /var/spool/lpd/lpd.lock
> /var/spool/lpd/lp
> /var/spool/lpd/lp/filter
> /var/spool/lpd/lp/general.cfg
> /var/spool/lpd/lp/lock
> /var/spool/lpd/lp/postscript.cfg
> /var/spool/lpd/lp/status
> /var/spool/lpd/lp/textonly.cfg
>
> I make it wthi printtools
>
> I look at filter file and I can see that this filter use the acct file
> to pas smbclient which file it mas print but there are not an acct file
> and if I create it it is never used.
>
> lpr version is 0.38
> printtools version is 3.40-3
>
> (Just which one how came with Mandrake)

The printtool should work if you have the share names set up correctly.

Using SAMBA to print means you have a computer running Windows attached to
your network which is offering the printer as a share.  There are some other
circumstances where you might use it, but almost all of them can be done
without use of SAMBA.

In printtool you need to give the machine name of the Windows box where the
printer is attached, and the name of the printer as the windows box is sharing
it out.  On the windows box, you need to go to Network
Neighborhood->Properties->File and Printer Sharing and set it up best as a
share level rather than a user level.   In addition, you then need to go to
the Win9x Printers folder and right-click the printer and enable sharing (note
the name and change it to one without blanks in it).

Unless these names are set up properly, "filter" will not call "smbprint" with
the proper parameters, and the result is that spooled print jobs vanish
without a trace, just as you have described.

Civileme