Did you check the BIOS settings for the ports?  Changing the case only
shouldn't make any difference, but I moved a system into a new case and
somehow must've jiggled the system enough that the thing reverted to the
default settings.  Annoying, but simple once I found it.  Is the modem
internal?  Is the mouse serial or PS 2 or???