----- Original Message -----
From: John Aldrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [expert] 64 MB limit?

> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, you wrote:

And I have found it better to test out by entering

linux mem=256M

at the LILO prompt after hitting the TAB key, just in case something is not
quite right.

Putting a wrong value in /etc/lilo.conf for this will hang the computer at
boot
and cause one to need those little-used rescue skills. (I know from
experience.)

BTW, there is an indication that Mandrake might shift to GRUB as a
bootlader.

GNU/GRUB is not subject to the 1024 cylinder limit of lilo.

Don't know what it does about passing kernel stuff like mem=, though.

Hoyt