R_Yeo wrote:

> Hi,
>         At work, we have a Class C address with it's own mail server.
> My Linux box is configured with sendmail to reply to mail addressed to
> me via my ISP.  Corporate IT is clamping down on smtp servers due to
> spammers.  Is there anyway to close down my smtp port (25) so that it
> will not be listening or only listening to the local host?  Corporate
> IT does a periodic scan of the port to look out for unauthorised
> servers.
>         OTOH, if someone has a suggestion for qmail or postfix, I'm all
> ears.

Normally, most people handle mail thru an ISP or an intranet
mail server, like your company's.  In either case, you use a mail
program such as PINE, or the mail part of Netscape.  Perhaps
KMail.

In those cases, the mail program is set up to talk to a mail
server.  POP3 or IMAP for incoming mail, and an SMTP server for
outgoing mail.  You do NOT need a mail server in your desktop
computer, no more than a Windows 95 computer would.

Therefore, what I would do in your case is to shut down Sendmail,
or remove it entirely.

Most Linux distributions, however, come preconfigured with
Sendmail
active, and have their mail programs such as Netscape or Pine talk
to the built-in server.  This, as you have seen, adds a layer of
security and complexity to the whole operation.  Just get rid of
Sendmail and you'll be fine.

--
Ramon Gandia ============= Sysadmin ============== Nook Net
http://www.nook.net                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]