Whenever I reboot, the splash screen dutifully reports that I am localhost.
After logging in I am able to bring up xterms, etc. But after I dial out, I
can no longer open any x-windows. From an xterm I had open, if I try to get
another xterm, I get the message that the x-display 0:0 is unreachable (or
something like that - I'm not home to tell exactly the message). If I
shutdown the ppp session and log out, the splash screen shows that my
hostname is now IPnn (nn differs from session to session). Loging back in
and dialing out now allows me to open x-window stuff. I've looked in the
.Xauthority file both before and after this occurs and I don't see anything
unusual. Any ideas?

Steve Clingerman