> YES! The newer linux releases (6.0 RedHat, Mandrake, etc)
> use a newer version of GLIBC than the 5.x versions. If you
> have an older version of Mandrake, programs compiled for
> the newer version won't work on it. You need to make sure
> which version of the C libraries a program is set up to use.

Well, not surprising, but what a bummer. I will have to put together a box
to hold the oldest Linux I can find ( I see Slackware 3.0 on my rack ) and
compile through it to have binary compatibility. I do this with UnixWare as
well, compiling through 1.1.3.

The problems I was having where remedied by allowing for writable-strings
however.

Thanks to all who replied!

Christopher Cox
Cobox