Lyle wrote:

> I just installed LM 6.0 and had a couple of questions.  I know these sound
> like newbie questions, but I am not getting any answers over there.
>
> I just cann't quite figure out security.  I am used to Netware and WinNT
> file system security and just cann't figure how it works in linux.  Any good
> reading or FAQ's?  I tried to set rights high in the directory tree and the
> rights don't seem to flow down or am I missing something?  And group rights
> just don't work the way I would suspect based on my background with Netware
> & WinNT.

It's tough to get started -- info chown and info chmod will help, also
look over www.linuxdocs.org. Rights don't flow automatically, the best
way to do an entire tree is to chmod -R [who][action][right] tree, or
chown -R [user]:[group] tree. NetWare security was the best, I wouldn't
mind if they made a comeback :-). Midnight commander is a good way to
see what's going on with permissions and change them, type mc in a term
and enjoy.

> Also FTP rights.  I want to allow r/w rights for FTP to the default Apache
> directory and just cann't put my finger on where to set that.

FTP is very tough - so many cracks have been done with FTP that it's a
bitch to configure and always tries to fail safe. To do what you want,
you'd add ftpuser and apacheuser to the same group, then give that group
permissions to the directory with chown -R :servergroup
/home/httpd/html/ and chmod -R g+rw /home/httpd/html/. You'd also have
to change the default users for apache and ftp since neither has write
access anywhere IIRC.