Not really.

SET is when you want to set a variable of some sort that isn't seen to the
user. Only to the shell.

The export command is something that the user will see and the shell will
recognize:

example:

export PS1= >this would set your primary prompt
export alias => export that alias.

or

alias ll='ls -al'
alias bob='df'

export alias (export's all predefined alias's in .bashrc file)

set would be used like this:

set env=
set shell=

and so on...

If I can be of further use please let me know.

Al Smith
Systems Engineer
Thomas Jefferson Univ. Hospital                      Phone: 215-503-6808
130 S. 9th St. Suite 600                             Fax:   215-503-4336
Philadelphia, PA 19107                     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]