Well in the end i did what I should never need to do....started from
scratch with nothing.....

In the end I had to redo the entrie kernel RPM and put back in the
patches for the IDE controllers that the normal kernel doesn't know
about....one of the features that I selected mandrake for that they
elected to leave out of their standard kernel and left me with a lame
slow controller....I have no idea why they left it out for...but they
did iinclude raid...something I don't use.....

So after about 24hrs of reworking stuff I finally got the box back to
where it was before I started the upgrade....next time i'll wait for the
X.1 and the removal of the bugs. This was such a dissappointment since
6.1 was so good of a distro....oh well live and learn. Means the door is
open for at least another linux distro that actually delivers....