When installing with LM6.1, the formatting took 1-2 hours.  LM7.0 did it in
5 minutes.  Did they optimize mkesfs 2500% in the last few months or are
different command line options being used?

> > - If you have a partition table already set up, the install
> won't give you
> > the option to "check for bad blocks", and I was in "expert" mode.
>
> you kidding? i added it myself, so you must be testing oxygen ?...

I guarantee it was LM7.0, not Oxygen (only loaded that at home).  I was
given the option to test for bad blocks the first, second and third
installs;  all those times I had reconfigured the partition table at that
particular step.  Install attempt 4 was aborted by 3-finger salute after
partition was written.  Install attempt 5 kept the partitions as is and Drak
only gave a dialog for picking which partitions to format (which I was
always choosing all since I was having so many problems), and NO dialog or
option appeared for bad block checking.  It wouldn't have been a big deal
normally.  But between install #3 and #4 I had added a second IDE HD to give
me enough space for my intended use of the system.  Install #4 wrote the
partitions but never got to format or badblock test.  Install #5 never gave
the option to test bad blocks.

> > I got to
> > this point (of having a partition table with no formatting
> or bad block
> > checks) because I 3 fingered a previous install of LM7.0
> gone sour.  I find
> > the RedHat partition program (a girl's name which escapes
> me now) worked
> > better for me.  At least give the "expert" users the choice of which
> > partition program to use.
>
> i don't understand what you speak about here

Sorry, I was way off here.  "Disk Druid" is what I was trying to think of
(had to dig out my old RedHat books).

> > - This is nit-picking, but the install asked if I wanted to
> create an
> > emergency floppy.  I had only hard drives and a CD drive installed.
>
> floppy detection is not there yet :(

I figure as much but thought I would throw it out there for future feature.
In the near future, many systems probably won't come with a regular floppy
drive.  My system at home has an LS120 which is an IDE device, not floppy
controller.

In any event, the point of my long message(s) was to provide some
constructive feedback on the particulars of what problems I had.  I've seen
quite a few flames on LM7.0 with minimal explanations given for why they
disliked it.

Matthew Zaleski