On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Lyle wrote:

> I have been playing with SAMBA here with Linux and found that there are
> known problems<GRIN> with it.  Recently Microsoft changed the algorithm used
> to encrypt passwords(WinNT SP3) and SAMBA hasn't caught up with that.  You
> need to enable plain text passwords on your Windows machines and this
> problem should go away.

This is misinformation.

First of all, you used "recently" and to refer to "WinNT SP3".  Huh?
SP3 is several years old now.  That's not recently, especially in the
computer industry.

Secondly, samba does work with encrypted passwords and WinNT and any
service pack (up to and including SP6 in my personal experience).

> See Microsoft technical articles #Q187228 and Q166730 for the registry
> entries to enable plain text passwords.(which are not really plain text, but
> that's another subject)

Don't enable plain text passwords unless you really need to.  Read the
samba documentation to learn when it may be necessary to enable plain text
passwords.