On Tue, 01 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> The reason that I don't want an external TA is because of to little space in my
> apartement and I don't want to buy a new serial card (if neccesary). This will
> increase my cost of getting up&running with ISDN too much. The external TA's
> that I've found cost twice as much as an internal. I know that the external one
> is an active TA that lets me do a lot of fun things like receiving faxes/voice
> and many also give me 2 analog lines. I believe that the same is possible on
> the passive cards, but require software instead. Anyhow, I don't quite need
> those features yet. I'm mostly in a trial period for the moment. I'm not sure
> that I will find ISDN useful.
>
> The word router, makes me think of a stand alone unit that is connected to the
> local network. In this case, in my experience I can't tell the router not to
> open a connection on certain packet types and port numbers. I live in Sweden
> with high minute rates for the use of a phone line :-(

Yes. That's what it is. I understand about the phone
charges.... but it DOES have some sort of "accounting"
features to it.... Not sure how it works... you may be able
to tell it to only connect manually.... For the most part
it has been MY experience that it only connects when
there's an INTERNET utility trying to find
something/someone external to the computer.... As for
analog phones, the Netgear router DOES provide two analog
phone jacks.
And, yes, the cost for the Netgear IS about US $200 or so,
but it's pretty much "bulletproof" here. Most of our
customers who use a Netgear can pretty much set it up and
forget it exists.
Now, just to give you an idea, I do a LOT of stuff on-line
at home via my ISDN line... and I only used 14 hours in
December, and about 25 or 26 hours in January...
        John