:~>Hello,
:~>
:~>Windows encrypts passwords in an ohther way than UNIX, so you can?t convert
:~>a UNIX Password to an SMB Password. The only way to use UNIX Passwords is to
:~>turn of encrytied passwords in your smb.conf and to force your Windows
:~>machines to send passwords as plain text (see Samba Documentation for the
:~>REG-Patch). By the way you could let Samba change your UNIX Password if you
:~>change it from your Windows box, the other way could be done by a wrapper
:~>script for passwd, but that wouldn?t be very secure.
:~>

Hm. I suppose there is little difference between changing the passwd with
"smbpasswd" and from one windoze machine, is there? In which case all you
need to have the passwds syncronized would be "smbpasswd", instead of
"passwd".

That is, at least as long as you do not use NIS. I.e., unless you have
only one linux machine acting as a smb server in the Windoze enviroment.

I wonder if one could syncronize NIS+smb passwords in some sensible way?
On the other hand, how
about using samba INSTEAD of NIS for autentication? I heard that
Corel has done something similar - does anyone if and how it works?

cu
        Denis
Mag^H^H^HDr. Denis Havlik  <http://www.ap.univie.ac.at/users/havlik>
University of Vienna    |||     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Austria                (@ @)       tel: (++431) 4277/51179