Stephen Boulet wrote:

> This is something I've been wondering about.
>
> I have an english install of Mandrake 7, and an american keyboard. How do I
> write german and french characters in programs like xemacs, kmail?

1. activate 8-bit input in your configuration files (.bashrc  ???)
2. use the ALT+number procedure (since it's managed directly by
the keyboard controller, it should work even under Linux). But
you still have to know the number for each special character
you want to use ... awkward, isn't it ...

You could also buy a german, or even better, a swiss keyboard.
It's not that much expensive, and would contain all characters
needed (for french and german anyway).

--
Jean-Louis Debert        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
74 Annemasse  France