How about sending us your ppp-on script, particularly your pppd command
with all of its switches?  At one point, I had this exact problem and
fixed it.

my pppd line looked like this:

exec /usr/sbin/pppd name "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" debug lock modem
crtscts /dev/modem 115200 default-asyncmap mtu 576 kdebug 5
$LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect
$DIALER_SCRIPT

If I recall clearly, it was the 'default-asyncmap' line which fixed
things.  I removed the existing 'asyncmap' parameter and 'escape'
parameter from my script when I installed the 'default-asyncmap'
setting.  Good Luck.

Tim

--
To reply to me, please remove __DIE_SPAMMERS__ from my reply-to address.