I would have expected this solution to make it not take very long,
since it's usually pretty snappy to see that a file isn't there at all.

Oh, well, it was worth a shot.

As a suggested by another list member, I'd see if these drives are
listed in /etc/fstab, though I suspect that not the problem; still,
it's worth a shot.  Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't know.

You might be able to pass some kernel parameters to tell it that you
don't have those devices, but I'm afraid I don't know what you'd say
for "nothing"; eg,

append="hdc=null, hdd=null"

(something to that effect), but this is getting beyond what I really
know, I'm afraid.

--
I am "Brian, the man from babble-on" (Brian T. Schellenberger).
I can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED] .