Sevatio Octavio wrote:

> Now LILO is telling me that I'm exceeding the 1024 cylinder limit.  Is there an easy
>way out of this?
>
> This Mdk7.0-2 is turning out to be a pain in the beeehind!
===
        One of your partitions (usually "/boot") needs to be in the
first 1024 cylinders of your disk.  Putting it first on disk is usually a
safe way to accomplish this.  Since lilo doesn't know what drivers your
hard disk requires, it uses the PC-BIOS to access the vmlinuz image to boot
from.  The BIOS only was built to use 10 bits for the Cylinder number (the
other 6 are used for sector numbers, I believe).

        An alternative that various Unix vendors has gone with is only
supporting a fixed set of hardware (usually SCSI disks) with the drivers
for their controller (since they make the machine, only 1 controller) and
their hard disks (other hard disks may or may not be compatible w/their
controller).  Unfortunately, in the PC world, just about any hardware goes.
This means that the boot loader has to 'dumb down' to the lowest common
denominator -- using the old PC-BIOS.

This is true of all linux's that use lilo -- not just Mandrake.

-linda