Fred Frigerio wrote:

> What about DSL? I think it is similar to a PPP connection but havent
> seen one yet and am thinking about getting it. Does anybody have good
> info about it? Running together with Linux?

DSL systems have a router port per customer, at least those that
I have seen.

The difference is that Cable daisy chains everybody down the
street,
its a bus topology.  DSL, or dialup PPP, have a star topology with
a router port per hookup.  The "secure" systems that are being
talked
about in Cable use what is basically a VPN to each customer.  That
is a virtual private network where the IP data is encrypted to
each
customer with a different key, and the Cable modem has the
encruption
key.  This system is....well....like the CSS fiasco proved, open
persistent attacks and hacking.  It is easyh to do because the
encrypted data stream STILL appears at every computer on the Cable
modem segment.

If you have cable, I would get some sort of router between the
Cable modem and your computer(s).  You then run a private IP on
your computer(s) and use Network Address Transpation to go out on
the internet.  Most Cable users are clueless Windows or Mac users
and expect security out of the box with their cable modem.  It is
a hacker's paradise.

--
Ramon Gandia ============= Sysadmin ============== Nook Net
http://www.nook.net                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]