> > don't use Xcdroast on data cdroms, this program is broken somehow
> > (at least it has never worked for me without hitches since some
> > error messages are suppressed and several options are not correct)
> > we use plain mkisofs/cdrecord here and it has been working just great
> > for *years* now
>
> I've only used XCDRoast for 2 years now, both with a 4x and an 8x burner.
> Data and audio CDs both come out fine at full speed.  The version of
> XCDRoast in the distro LM6.1 and LM7.0beta(Oxygen) have a display bug where
> status box doesn't get updated until the burn is complete.  Grab a different
> version from the maker of XCDRoast and that problem goes away.

Hmm, I did not use the XCDroast for a year or so. Last time I tried
(on a Red Hat 5.2 ;) it failed miserably and messed up my ISO images.
This may have changed meanwhile of course ;-)
Since CD-Burning with Linux is so easy, for me it seems to make much
more sense to use mkisofs/cdrecord directly - full control of all options
for vi-hackers ;-)

> > Also, some CD-R (dark blue and shiny green) should be avoided for data
> > duplication under all circumstances. Especially these CD-R
> > will not work
> > well with Linux ISO images (this is from experience with
> > about 5000 produced
> > CD-R, so please don't flame me on this):
> >     Kodak with black coating (yes, these really exist !)
> >     any green CD-R (especially ARITA or Red Label, "audio")
> >     dark blue CD-R (especially Verbatim or unlabelled)
> I've had a few problems with the cheapy green CD-R disks, although I
> attributed it to poor balance where the CD reader drive couldn't spin up the
> disk beyond 4x or 8x without problems.

Yes, the green CD-R are problematic. We had both Arita and Red Label stuff
here and about 50% of all CD-R failed. We sent back the boxes to the
manufacturer who told us they were for audio really ;)
Dark blue are usually ok, but you will need recent CDROM-drives to read
them. We had loads of customers who could not read dark blue CD-R on their
2-4 year old Mitsumi and Toshiba drives. However, Pioneer and Plextor
CDROM drives usually could read this media without problems. I thought
that perhaps the light reflection from dark media types might be too low
for older (weaker) lasers, but I'm only guessing here really.

> > The following CD-R work GREAT on any Linux ISO image:
> >     Kodak or Mitsui GOLD/GOLD (only 6x speed)
> >     unlabelled SILVER/SILVER (be sure to buy 8x speed CDs)
> >     PRINCO SILVER/BLUE (this is light blue ...)
> >     Intenso SILVER/BLUE (this is also light blue,
> >             we did not test the new dark blue Intenso 700 MB yet)
> I have not had any problems (in 50-100 CD's) so far unlabelled silver/silver
> disks.  I burn at 8x even though they are spec'd for 4x or 6x.

Hmm, I have some problems writing Kodak 6x Gold/Gold with speed 8x on a
CDR-7503 from Panasonic. The write operations go ok but then the disk
is rejected with some errors and cannot be read by any CDROM drives.
(BTW, "unlabelled" means "unbranded" here ;)

> Overall, I agree with the intent of your comments: "BUY QUALITY CD-R
> disks!".  They are not that much more expensive and what good is a storage
> medium that corrupts your data.

Yes, this is certainly true. However, I saw that some of the cheaper
CD-R (especially silver/silver and silver/lightblue) are of high quality -
but this is probably not the case for all CD-R so buying quality CD-R
sometimes does not mean buying only branded CD-R.
However, I have never seen any problems with GOLD/GOLD (Kodak or Mitsui)
media, so perhaps these should be recommended in the FAQ for people who
don't need large quantities ?

Bernd

      | ixsoft Softwareentwicklung | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           |
      | und -vertrieb Bernd Hentig | <http://www.ixsoft.de>              |
      |   Unter den Buchen 22E     | Fon: ++49 333 63 46 100             |
      | D-16244 Altenhof,  Germany | FAX: ++49 333 63 46 109             |