Hey folks, I seemed to have solved my problem with the missing
'egcs' file in the egcs package on Mandrake 7.0.  I have another
older PC here at home that I installed RedHat 6.0 on and took a
look in the /usr/bin directory on that computer.  I did a
'cmp' on /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/egcs and they are the same!

I then (as root) created a symbolic link on my Mandrake 7.0
installation in /usr/bin:
ln -s gcc egcs

and after that everything works fine!
(It would have been nice to have packaged egcs, though, anyway!)

Tom