"james.fogg" wrote:
This is my third install with Mandrake 6.1 (helios). In each install I have
noticed problems telneting into the box from an Ethernet connection.
Everything Ethernet seems fine (other connections work great). My telnet
clients (teraterm and Windows telnet)  hang for up to a minute. If I send
multiple carriage returns during the hang the Linux box will eventually
prompt for a login (after discarding the multiple incorrect login attempts
from the carriage returns). If I don't send carriage returns the client will
timeout and close. If I use the default Linux telnet client of the
troublesome machine and telnet to the ip address of the box I have no
problem.

A LAN analyzer shows the acks and connection as being inplace immediately.
The carriage returns are sent to the proper address and agreed upon port
number. The Linux box offers no response to the carriage returns.

During install I included something called a "telnet server". I assumed it
was needed to allow telnet connects. I also have apache, sendmail, ftp and
samba installed. I have no Xwindows support installed (other than a few
pieces that helios included anyways). I was asked if I wanted to use shadow
passwords and I said yes.

Once I get a login prompt everything is fine and speedy.

I am lost at this point, but am suspicious of shadow passwords and security
possibly hanging the session. Any ideas?

I also installed telnet client from the cdrom. , that corrected  my problem.