Personally, I wouldn't assume that the having / vs /swap first
would matter, but I'd switch it anyway.  Also, I remember some
people having this error under SuSE awhile back.  Here's the
snippet from SuSE's site:
<start>
LI

     The first stage boot loader was able to load the second
stage
     boot loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either
be
     caused by a geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b
     without running the map installer.
<end>

Dana