This is going to be long-winded, so be aware...There are LOTS of symptoms
for this problem, and I want to share them all with you.

Fisrt, Hardware.
Microstar Motherboard, BX chipset.
(2) PII-300 CPU's.
64MB PC-100 RAM
i740 AGP video card (8MB)
SB Vibra 16 PNP sound card.
Fallaron Etherwave ISA 10Mbit dual port network card (3c509 chipset)

IDE0: IBM 2.5gb hd, one partition (fat32)

IDE1: Fujitsu 5.2gb partition one: fat32 2.4gb
                   partition five: ext2 (mandrake) 2.7gb
                   partition six: L-swap 64MB

ide2: Fuji 24x ATAPI CDROM

ide3: Memorex CRW 1622 rewritable ATAPI CD

as for software, Ive got Mandrake 7.0 (http install)

Symptoms:

Kernel uncompresses and loads fine. mandrake initialization starts, and
runs clean untill hardware detection (kudzu?) reports that it cant find my
memorez CRW drive. I tell it to ignore this error, it continues booting
untill it get to the `mounting other filesystems' segment, and stops.
completely.

at this point, the only thing I can do, is give it the three-fingered
salute. (ctrl-alt-delete)
 upon recieving the salute, the machine goes through a clean shutdow/reboot
sequence.

This happens with ANY SMP ready kernel, ANY of the kernel's that I have
compiled, the SMP kewrnel that comes with Mandrake 7, and even kernels that
friends have compiled.

With NON SMP kernels, there is NOT any problems.

I've looked through the docs that I have, and all that are availible online
that I can find, and have found no solution. Help?!?

  --
Shawn Somers AKA Razer
ICQ UIN: 1867109