On 02-Mar-00 Axalon Bloodstone wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Alexander Volovics wrote:

>> Everything seems to be working OK except `shutdown -r now'.
>> This happens from both runlevel 3 or runlevel 5.
>> The machine seems to do a perfect shutdown but does not startup
>> again: the screen remains backlit and the disk whirs but that is it.

 > I would love to tell you I have a solution for this but it just isn't the
> case :( I do have a test for you to try though.
>
> On the install cd under Mandrake/RPMS, you will find an rpm
> kernel-linus-2.2.14-1mdk.i586.rpm. Install this on the system and add an
> option to lilo.conf to boot it.

Axalon,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried your test with kernel-linus-2.2.14-1mdk.i586.
This makes NO difference: `shutdown -r now' still fails.

I shall try to describe more precisely what the laptop does.

The shutdown proceeds to a blank backlit screen and then stops and freezes.
The backlight does NOT blackout completely for a (couple of) second(s)
and then start up again and show the POST as it should.
There is a short whirring sound from the ?disk?

And the machine indicates a boot routine error through `flash codes'
If I see them correctly the flash codes are 3-1-1.
The Dell Inspiron 3700 manual gives as "cause" for 3-1-1:
`Slave DMA register failure'.

To check a possible hardware problem I would have to install Win98 again
to run the Dell diagnostic software.

(In the few days that Win98 was on the laptop I played with it a bit
 and noticed nothing that could indicate hardware problems.
 Reboot for example functioned perfectly!)

There are no problems with `shutdown -h now' under Mandrake 7.0.
The machine shuts down and power management switches power of correctly.

Alexander.