Well,
 after following this thread for awhile, I decided to test certain
things on my ide CD-RW cdrom.

1. I have not had much luck with xcdroast, so I have only been using
cdrecord.

2. I have no trouble burning CD-R cdroms.
3. With CD-RW, cdrecord bombs out on attempts to write a brand new CD-RW
cdrom.  I have used the command
  cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0 -blank=fast
 to blank out the first portion of the cdrom.

Then, cdrecord writes the iso image just fine.

I used this to burn my last mandrake70-2.iso, and upgraded my system
with it.

4. I went back to the cdrecord shipped with RedHat-6.1 and had exactly
the same experiences.

I am not sure what the problem is, but it may be connected to the
ide-scsi emulation.  My scsi system is running Mandrake-6.1, and does
not give me these problems.

-Cheers,
 -sen