Edward Pilipczuk wrote:

> I've faced with few problems when using drakeconf/linuxconf for configuring ppp
> for incoming connections.
>
> 1. after registering ppp user the incoming session terminated with the message
> that pppd daemon must be run with setuid to root. Default pppd access rights
> does not have such mode.
> Using chmod +s, we can workaround this problem, but ... what about security ?
>
> 2. Even I do "chmod +" for the pppd image and do registration of ppp0 module
> for outgoing connections I stil have problems. The pppd reports that the remote
> is requiring authenticating itself
> (for tests I am using win95 dial facility) and configuration options does not
> have data to process it. This behaviour is only for MDK 7.0, older versions,
> 6.0 and 6.1 still work fine ;-)
>
> Any comments would be very appreciable ...
>
> Regards for all MDK funs,
> ===================
> Edward Pilipczuk
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> tel +4822 6400883

Just guessing, I would say you specified medium, high or paranoid security

kppp is requiring the remote server to authenticate itself which most remote
servers are not set up to do.  It is then properly shutting down the pppd because
the remote authentication failed.

The ugly fix is to add a lint to /etc/ppp/options which says

noauth

Civileme